Keeping the environment infection free is a prime concern of any conscientious hospital management. Preventing contamination and spread of infection is an assigned responsibility of the doctors and nurses, which can never be compromised.
Common causes of high internal rate of infection in a hospital are:
- Transmission through the air of airborne diseases from one person to another;
- Poor sanitisation of the bedding (sheets, pillows, mattresses etc.);
- Clothing used by the patients;
- Ozone is a gas that is used as a disinfectant;
- Its only toxicity is from its high oxidation potential;
- When the ozone concentration reaches above 1.55ppm in a room or environment, it is unsafe.
Safe levels of Ozone in indoor air
[table id=26 /]
- Above are standards for keeping people in an ozone environment safely.
- Ozone concentration multiplied by its approach time can be seen as its standard point.
- As it’s reported that when ozone concentration reaches to 0.02ppm, people with sensitive smell can perceive it, which is called felling edge point.
- When the ozone concentration reaches to 0.15ppm, it’s called smell edge point, at which the ozone can be smelt by average people, and it is also known as the healthy standard point.
- When the ozone concentration reaches 1-10ppm, it is called the stimulation scope.
- When the concentration is above 10ppm, it is the point of poisonous edge.
- In fact, applying ozone appropriately can prevent people from suffering. Instead, it is good for human when the ozone concentration is less than 0.1ppm in an environment.
- Ozone has been applied for more than 100 years.
- To date there are no reported cases of ozone poisoning.
[table id=27 /]
National and International Ozone Disinfection Clinical Trial Data
[table id=28 /]
The disinfection function of ozone belongs to a biochemistry oxidisation reaction. Because of its high oxidation potential, ozone oxidises cell components of the bacterial cell wall. This is a consequence of cell wall penetration. Once ozone has entered the cell, it oxidises all essential components (enzymes, proteins, DNA, RNA). When the cell membrane is damaged during this process, the cell will fall apart which is called lysis. The above-mentioned mechanism differs from that of halogens (such as chlorine), which are usually applied. Chlorine is known to penetrate cells by diffusion. Within the cell, chlorine affects several enzyme types.
Warriors against Covid19. Airzone ozone distribution in unoccupied closed off areas for shock decontamination, sanitation and disinfection of indoor air and surfaces. Airborne and surface pathogen sanitising/decontamination.
[table id=29 /]
These are guidelines only for 1 hour treatment but efficiency will depend upon ambient air conditions (moisture and temperature), levels of contamination, articles in the area, ventilation air and air-conditioning distribution systems. For more efficacy treatment time can be extended.
Important Safety Measures: The above warriors are designed for shock treatment in unoccupied areas. It is a toxic gas and as such should not be breathed in. Extended ozone treatment at high levels for long periods will oxidise natural fabrics, components and rubbers.